Dr. Martin Rack
To that end he is involved in the complete small-signal modeling of large substrate volumes for the evaluation of substrate crosstalk interference between circuit nodes.
On top of that, he is also actively developing large-signal models of the non-linear behavior of semiconductor substrate interfaces for the evaluation of substrate-induced harmonic distortion in RF systems.
He is also working on the IC design of RF and mm-wave front-end modules using advanced FD-SOI CMOS nodes, including switches, low-noise amplifiers and mixers, in particular at 28 and 60 GHz.
- Non-linear large-signal RF substrate modelling
- mm-wave IC design
- SPDT and SP4T switches (up to 80 GHz)
- LNAs (28, 39, 60 GHz)
- On-wafer RF & mm-wave measurements
- RF material property extraction
- Silicon-based substrate modelling and development
- RF-SOI: High Resistivity and Trap-Rich
- PN junction-enhanced RF-Si substrates
- Gold-doped Si
- GaN on Si
- Porous Silicon
Publications → link to full list
Selected Conference Proceedings
- M. Rack, L. Nyssens and J.-P. Raskin, “Silicon-substrate enhancement technique enabling high-quality integrated RF passives”, 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), Boston, MA, June 2019, pp. 1295-1298, doi: 10.1109/MWSYM.2019.870109.
- G. Scheen, R. Tuyaerts, M. Rack, L. Nyssens, J. Rasson and J. Raskin, “Post-process porous silicon for 5G applications,” 2019 Joint International EUROSOI Workshop and International Conference on Ultimate Integration on Silicon (EUROSOI-ULIS), Grenoble, France, 2019, pp. 1-2, doi: 10.1109/EUROSOI-ULIS45800.2019.9041906. Award: Best Paper.
- M. Rack, L. Nyssens, S. Wane, D. Bajon and J.-P. Raskin, “DC-40 GHz SPDTs in 22 nm FD-SOI and Back-Gate Impact Study”, Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (RFIC), Los Angeles, USA, June 2020, pp. xx-yy, doi: 10.1109/RFIC49505.2020.9218317.
- M. Rack, L. Nyssens, S. Wane, D. Bajon, D. Lederer and J. -P. Raskin, “FD-SOI mm-Wave Differential Single-Pole Switches with Ultra-High Isolation,” 2021 International Symposium on VLSI Technology, Systems and Applications (VLSI-TSA), 2021, pp. 1-2, doi: 10.1109/VLSI-TSA51926.2021.9440095.
- M. Rack, L. Nyssens, D. Lederer, Q. Courte, and J.-P. Raskin, “Impact of Device Shunt Loss on mm-Wave Switch Performance in 22 nm FD-SOI and DC-80 GHz SPDT”, in ESSDERC 2021 – 51st European Solid-State Device Research Conference (ESSDERC), 2021, doi: .
- M. Rack, L. Nyssens, M. Nabet, and D. L. J.-P. Raskin, “Field-Effect Passivation of Lossy Interfaces in High-Resistivity RF Silicon Substrates”, 2021 Joint International EUROSOI Workshop and International Conference on Ultimate Integration on Silicon (EUROSOI-ULIS), Sep. 2021, doi: .
Selected Journal Papers
- M. Rack, F. Allibert, J.-P. Raskin, “RF modelling of trap-rich passivated semiconductor substrates: Part I – Static and dynamic physics of carriers and traps”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 2021, doi: 10.1109/TED.2021.3096777.
- M. Rack, F. Allibert, J.-P. Raskin, “RF modelling of trap-rich passivated semiconductor substrates: Part II – Parameter impact on harmonic distortion”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 2021, doi: 10.1109/TED.2021.3096781.
- B. Kazemi Esfeh, M. Rack, S. Makovejev, F. Allibert and J.-P. Raskin, “A SPDT RF Switch Small-and Large-signal Characteristics on TR-HR SOI Substrates”, IEEE Journalof the Electron Devices Society, vol. 6, pp. 543-550, Feb. 2018, doi: 10.1109/JEDS.2018.2805780.
- M. Rack, Y. Belaroussi, K. B. Ali, G. Scheen, B. K. Esfeh and J. P. Raskin, “Small-and Large-Signal Performance Up To 175◦C of Low-Cost Porous Silicon Substrate for RF Applications”, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1887-1895, May 2018, doi: 10.1109/TED.2018.2818466.
- M. Rack, L. Nyssens, and J.-P. Raskin, “Low-loss Si-substrates enhanced using buried PN junctions for RF applications”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 40, pp. 690-693, May 2019, doi: 10.1109/LED.2019.2908259.
- M. Nabet, M. Rack, Nur Zatil Ismah Hashim, C. H. de Groot, and J.-P. Raskin, “Behavior of Gold-Doped Silicon under Small- and Large-RF Signal”, Solid-State Electronics, vol. 168, pp. 107718, ISSN 0038-1101, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.sse.2019.107718.
- M. Rack and J.-P. Raskin, “(Invited) SOI Technologies for RF and Millimeter Wave Applications”, Electrochemical Society (ESC) Transactions, vol. 92, no. 4, pp 79-94, July 2019, doi: 10.1149/09204.0079ecst.
- L. Nyssens, M. Rack and J.-P. Raskin, “Effective Resistivity Extraction of Low-Loss Silicon Substrate at Millimeter-Wave Frequencies”, International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, pp. 1-14, 2020, doi: 10.1017/S175907872000077X.
- X. Sun, M. Rack, G. Van der Plas, J.-P. Raskin and E. Beyne, “Modeling and Characterization of TSV Induced Noise Coupling”, in “Noise Coupling in System-on-Chip”, 1st ed., T. Noulis, Ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2017, pp. 195-232, ebook ISBN: 9781315116693.
- M. Rack and J.-P. Raskin, “SOI Technology for RF and Millimeterwave Applications” in”Intelligent Nanosystems”, 1st ed., vol. 4, S. Deleonibus, Ed. Singapour, Pan Stanford Publishing, 2020, (awaiting publication).