Friday 13 October 2023, University of Antwerp
This year’s edition of the annual Linguists’ Day of the LSB (Linguistic Society of Belgium) will be organised on Friday, 13 October 2023 by the Department of Applied Linguistics and the Department of Linguistics of the University of Antwerp.
Call for papers
We invite submissions for papers (20 minutes presentation & 10 minutes discussion) on any topic in linguistics or applied linguistics. Apart from a general session, we will also organise the following two thematic sessions:
- Learner Language: We welcome papers from applied and more theoretical perspectives on learner language research.
- Applications of linguistic approaches in Translation and Interpreting Studies (TIS): We invite papers on applications of linguistic approaches in different fields of TIS (AVT, media accessibility, corpus approaches, ethnographic approaches, literary translation, communication in interpreting, experimental research, …) starting from the question: what does (applied) linguistics bring to the discipline, and why is TIS not “just” about linguistics?
Papers can be in any of the three Belgian national languages (Dutch, French, German) or in English. Abstracts should not exceed 500 words (without references) and should clearly indicate the topic, the objectives, data and method and (provisional) results. Deadline for submission is Friday, 16 June 2023. Please send your abstract to the following e-mail address: email@example.com. Notification of acceptance will follow by the end of June.
All activities (lectures and lunch) will be organised at the City Campus of the University of Antwerp, within walking distance from Antwerp’s Central Station.
If you want to present at the conference, you are required to be a member of the LSB. This means that you have to be registered on the website and have paid the annual contribution of 20 € (or 40 € if you wish to obtain the latest volume of the Belgian Journal of Linguistics) For more details, see https://sites.uclouvain.be/bkl-cbl/en/registration/.
The LSB board will be organising a Best Paper Presentation Award for PhD students. If you wish to participate, please mention this explicitly in your abstract.
We will start around 9:30. The General Assembly of the LSB will take place during lunch break. You are all kindly invited to participate. Note that we will have a special closing event: an interview with four colleagues (Hubert Cuyckens, Sylviane Granger, Aline Remael, and Johan van der Auwera), who have retired or are about to retire about how they saw the world of linguistics changing in the course of their careers.
- Friday 16 June 2023: deadline submission abstracts
- End of June 2023: notification of acceptance
- Friday 13 October 2023: Linguists’ Day
Astrid De Wit