By the end of the course the student will have strengthened the disciplinary knowledge useful in undertaking a Master in mathematics or in closely related fields.
In particular, he will be capable of :
- choosing and using the fundamental methods and tools of calculation to solve mathematical problems;
- recognise the fundamental concepts of important current mathematical theories. The student will have developed his capacity for abstract thought and his critical spirit and will in particular be able to:
- argue within the context of the axiomatic method.
- identify the key arguments and the structure of a proof, and also construct a proof independently.
- evaluate the rigour of a mathematical or logical argument and identify any possible flaws in it.