The course invites students to become aware of this phenomenon by discovering the principles and elements involved in the construction of this discourse.
Each year, a specific subject is chosen (an aspect of literary life, the development of a genre or a theme), which provides the main topic for study.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- set discourse on literature in a historical context and know how to recognise the principles they employ. To identify accounts of literary history as examples of built discourse.
- establish a link between literature theory (view of the the phenomenon of literature in general) and critique (view of individual works).
- set literary studies in the context of social sciences.
- produce a critique of the critique : to treat accounts of literary history as structures for analysis ; to highlight the strategies employed by different forms of criticism.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.The course will begin by studying the theoretical question it poses from a general point of view before approaching it through the study of particular texts that make up the corpus of study. It will take a masterly form. Depending on the number of registered students, the sessions will be given in an auditorium in Louvain-la-Neuve ("face-to-face"), remotely on a digital platform ("distant"), or with the combination of both ("comodal").
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.
- Roland, Jeanne-Marie [Manon, Mme], Mémoires particuliers , dans La Fabrique de l’intime. Mémoires et journaux de femmes du XVIIIe siècle, éd. Catriona Seth, Paris, Robert Laffont, « Bouquins », 2013, p. 497-679 ; éd. Cl. Perroud, Paris, Plon-Nourrit, 1905, 2 vol., vol. II, p. 1-277 [mis à disposition sur moodle : p. 516-800 du fichier pdf].
- Chateaubriand, François René de : Mémoires d’outre-tombe, éd. Jean-Claude Berchet, Paris, Librairie générale française, « Le Livre de poche », 1989-1998, 4 vol., vol. I
- Leiris, Michel : L’Âge d’homme , Paris, Gallimard, « Folio », 1973.
- Sarraute, Nathalie, Enfance , Paris, Galliard, « Folio », 1985.
- Levé, Édouard, Autoportrait  Paris, P.O.L., « formatpoche », 2013.
- Ernaux, Annie, Les Années , Paris, Gallimard, « Folio », 2010.