This biannual learning unit is being organized in 2020-2021
Those students whose level is insufficient will be oriented towards LRELI1240.
Alternating with LGLOR2781 (New testament), the course provides an introduction to specific questions of morphology, syntax, and vocabulary which arise from biblical Koine. Special attention is paid to Semitism, translations indices and bilingualism. It attempts to show the nature of "a translation language", and brings out how any translation is an interpretation and examines the question of what view the Septuagint had of the work of translation.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the the end of this course, the student will be capable of reading with profit the Septuagint in its Greek text, with the aid of the appropriate grammar and dictionaries. He will be able to find in it the specialities of the bible Koine, and to get the best out of printed and computer based work tools (dictionaries both general and specific, concordances grammars and encyclopedias).
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.The active participation of the students is a prerequisite, and the texts to be studied will be indicated at the start of the course. They should prepare their own translation of these texts.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.Constant assessment of course preparation and participation (70%). A cursive reading exercise of one or more texts from the Septuagint will account for 30% of the final mark.
Le Dictionnaire grec-français d'A. Bailly a fait l'objet en 2020 d'une révision par G. Gréco téléchargeable gratuitement sur le site http://gerardgreco.free.fr/spip.php?article52.
Il est conseillé aux étudiants de se procurer une édition de la Septante (A. Rahlfs, Septuaginta, 2e éd., Stuttgart, Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2006).
Autres instruments de travail au maniement desquels les étudiants seront initiés :
- J. Lust, E. Eynickel, K. Hauspie, Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint. Revised Edition, Stuttgart, Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2003.
- T. Muraoka, A Greek-English lexicon of the Septuagint, Leuven, Peeters, 2009.
- E. Hatch et H. A. Redpath, A Concordance to the Septuagint and the Other Greek Versions of the Old Testament, 2d edition by T. Muraoka, Edinburgh, Clark, 1998.
- F.M. Abel, Grammaire du grec biblique suivie d'un choix de papyrus (Études bibliques), Paris, 1927.
- Henry St. John Thackeray, A Grammar of the Old Testament in Greek according to the Septuagint, Cambridge, 1909; réimpr. Darmstadt, G. Olms, 1978.
- T. Muraoka, A Syntax of Septuagint Greek, Leuven, Peeters, 2016.