We have chosen ‘CALL and complexity’ as the guiding thread for EUROCALL 2019. This theme is to be seen as constituting a challenge to be embraced. Languages are known to be intrinsically complex linguistically and so are the determinants of learning (additional) languages.
We believe that it is
- essential to pay tribute to providers of CALL solutions and to recognize the complexity of their task,
- important to acknowledge this complexity to ensure the provision of ad hoc CALL solutions,
- fundamental to draw both learners’ and teachers’ attention to complexity issues so that they can make the most of their learning/teaching experience.
We’ll be delighted to embrace the complexity issue collectively with the EUROCALL community!
- Corpora and language learning / Data-driven learning (DDL)
- Intelligent CALL (ICALL) / Natural language processing applications in CALL
- Complexity, accuracy, fluency (CAF) framework of proficiency in CALL research and applications
- Measuring and developing linguistic complexity in CALL
- Task complexity in CALL
- Digital literacies
- Digital games-based language learning
- Mobile assisted language learning (MALL)
- The design and practice of LMOOCs
- Telecollaboration and CMC
- Teacher education and professional development in CALL
- Applying SLA principles in CALL
- Open Educational Resources and practices
- Research trends in CALL