University or Organization: University of Antwerp
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Web Address: https://tinyurl.com/y95brwfo
Job Title: Research professor, Linguistic pragmatics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics; Multilingualism; Urban Studies
The assignment consists of lecturing duties, scientific research and academic service to society. During a period, limited to five years (duration of the temporary appointment in tenure track), scientific research will be the main activity.
– You will expand on scientific research into concrete instances of language use within multilingual urban and institutional contexts, and frame this research as part of a project of theory formation in pragmatics.
– You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
– You will supervise doctoral students.
– You will offer scientific and other services, including administration and other forms of organizational coordination and support.
– You will teach a course on pragmatics: language and the city in the Master of Linguistics.
Profile and requirements:
– You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in linguistics or a doctoral degree of equal value.
– You have a minimum of 2 years of experience on the postdoctoral level at the closing date of the vacancy.
– You have demonstrable expertise in ethnographic and possibly interdisciplinary approaches to sociolinguistic research topics, preferably strongly empirically driven and paying particular attention to phenomena of (urban) multilingualism.
– You study topical issues in linguistic pragmatics from a global perspective.
– You have an international academic CV and you conduct qualitatively outstanding academic research within the given domain.
– Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
– The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
– You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
– You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
– If you do not have Dutch, the administrative language of the university, as your native language, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years of appointment. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
A full-time position as a lecturer in a temporary appointment in the tenure track system for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously determined and publicly announced evaluation criteria. After the permanent appointment another period of five years is given with limited lecturing duties in order to strengthen the research curriculum;
in case of equal qualifications, priority will be given to candidates of the underrepresented gender within the domain of science.
This priority is not automatic nor unconditional, as the evaluation will always take into account the personal situation of every candidate;
the date of appointment will be 1 October 2019 at the earliest;
a gross monthly salary as a full-time lecturer ranging from € 4.255,06 to € 6.272,13;
an attractive starter package consisting of a full four-year PhD project and consumables (€30 000);
a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 21 January 2019. More information can be found on our website via the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: 21-Jan-2019
Web Address for Applications: https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/jobs/vacancies/ap/2018zapflwex332/