· Cultural transfer;
· The development of subtitling;
· Technical subtitling;
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
Contribution of teaching unit to learning outcomes assigned to programme
This unit contributes to the acquisition and development of the following learning outcomes, as assigned to the Master's degree in translation :
2.3, 2.4, 2.8
AA-FS-TA. Develop expertise and a high level of competence in the field of adapting audio-visual material into French, from two foreign languages, with a view to participating successfully in the professional multilingual audio-visual sector.
Specific learning outcomes on completion of teaching unit
On completing this unit the student is able to:
· Demonstrate his or her knowledge and command of the norms governing interlingual subtitling and their development;
· Utilize professional subtitling software;
· Analyse existing productions using a scientifically-based approach.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.Students are trained in the use of the professional program EZTitles©.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.During the second exam session each students submit an individual assignment. Third-session exams are the same. These assignments demonstrate their command of the theoretical foundations and practical aspects of subtitling, supertitling and audio description.
- LSTI assignments on Moodle
- Petit dictionnaire d'orthographe et de typographie pour le sous-titrage,http://tsukiyo-novel.visual-test.fr/Petit_dico_orthotypo_sous-titrage.pdf
- ESIST (1998) Code of Good Subtitling Practice, http://www.esist.org/ESIST%20Subtitling%20code_files/Code%20of%20Good%20Subtitling%20Practice_en.pdf
Diaz Cintas, Jorge (2010),Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi
[collection of articles]
- La traduction audiovisuelle: un genre en expansion
Gambier, Yves (2004)
Montréal: Les presses de l'université de Montréal
The Semiotics of Subtitling, De Linde, Zoe & Neil Key (1999)
Manchester, St. Jerome
- Ivarsson, Jan and Carrol, Mary (1998) Subtitling. Simrishamn, Transedit
- Jorge Díaz Cintas, Pilar Orero and Aline Remael, eds., Media for All: Subtitling for the Deaf, Audio Description and Sign Language. Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi.
- Hyks, Veronikka (2005): Audio description and translation. Two related but different skills. Translating Today. 4:6-8.