mgest1220  2019-2020  Mons

Note from June 29, 2020
Although we do not yet know how long the social distancing related to the Covid-19 pandemic will last, and regardless of the changes that had to be made in the evaluation of the June 2020 session in relation to what is provided for in this learning unit description, new learnig unit evaluation methods may still be adopted by the teachers; details of these methods have been - or will be - communicated to the students by the teachers, as soon as possible.
5 credits
45.0 h + 20.0 h
Sinigaglia Nadia;

The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.

At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :

1 Competencies
Given the « competencies referential » linked to the LSM Bachelor in Sciences de Gestion et in Ingéniorat de Gestion, this course mainly develops the following competencies:
  • 2. Knowledge and reasoning
Learning outcomes
At the end of this course, the student will be able to master the fundamental concepts of both strategic and operational marketing.

The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
This course is made up of four main parts.
Part 1 : The new role of marketing
1- Marketing and the market-oriented approach
2- The new challenges of marketing
Part 2 : Understanding the customer behaviour 
1- Understanding customers' needs
2- The analysis of the customer response process
3- The Marketing Information System
Part 3 : The elaboration of the marketing strategy
1- The analysis of customers' needs through segmentation
2- The analysis of the segments' attractiveness
3- The analysis of the segments' competitiveness
4- Targeting and postioning
5- The choice of a marketing strategy
6- New product development
Part 4 : Implementation of the marketing mix 
1- Brand
2- Distribution channels (Place)
3- Price
4- Communication
Teaching methods
Sessions of exercises related to the course, organized in groups
Case studies
Evaluation methods
A written examination organized in January (and September) and focused on the whole content of the course (including lectures and exercises sessions) will account for 80 % of the final grade. The remaining 20 % of the final grade will be based on your active participation to the exercises sessions.
In case the student fails the course, only the "written exam" part can be improved (the grade linked to the participation to the exercises sessions can not be improved).
Online resources
The Powerpoint slides are available on Moodle (Student Corner).
- ARMSTRONG G., KOTLER P., LE NAGARD-ASSAYAG E., LARDINOIT T., BUTORI R., DION D. et OBLE F. (2017), Principes de Marketing, 13ème édition, Pearson Education. 
- KOTLER P., KELLER K., MANCEAU D., et HEMONNET A. (2019), Marketing Management, 16ème édition, Pearson Education.
- LAMBIN J.J., DE MOERLOOSE C. (2016), Marketing stratégique et opérationnel : la démarche marketing dans l'économie numérique, 9ème édition, DUNOD.
Faculty or entity

Programmes / formations proposant cette unité d'enseignement (UE)

Title of the programme
Bachelor : Business Engineering

Master [60] in Management

Bachelor in Management

Bachelor in Information and Communication

Bachelor in Human and Social Sciences

Master [120] in Management