- the ILV placement test organised during the 1st week of each semester
- OR a recent DELF B1 (less than 1 year)
- OR having achieved a minimal mark of 14/20 on the LFRAN1301 course.
- Georges Simenon and crime fiction
- French Singers of the Rive Gauche (Brassens, Bref, Ferré, Barbara, Vian')
- Edmond Rostand and his famous play 'Cyrano de Bergerac'.
The course ' De la voix à la plume' encourages students to form their own opinions and express them 'in real life' on the subjects discussed. The intercultural aspect of the group is used to the full.
The approach is simultaneously one of rationality and imagination, attaching great importance to the emotional and physical aspects of speaking. Students are involved in practical projects to develop their command of the French language; they lead discussions and make presentations.
N.B. The grammar covered includes revision of basic grammar and the study of complex sentences (expressing cause, purpose, consequence, opposition, comparison, etc.).
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
According to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, the learner /independent user of the language of level B2 can
Level B2 describes a developed and relatively confident command of the foreign language.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
By speaking in class regularly, students become more confident when doing so. Listening comprehension is developed by means of audio and video recordings. In addition, they write texts regularly and have to read two novels for the course.
Regular homework is required. Each week, students are asked to work on e.g. a point of grammar and /or vocabulary on the Moodle platform or with the grammar book for the following lesson.
Students do three projects (illustration of idiomatic expressions, presentation of a topic of current interest, leading a debate), plus producing three pieces of written work and reading two novels.
Students take part in a cultural activity outside classroom.
Continuous Assessment and Progress : 40%
- Written work : 10%
- Grammar test : 10 %
- Presentations : 10 %
- Presence and active participation in class and outside classroom : 10%
Exam : 60%
The final exam assesses both written and oral work. It consists of four parts:
- Listening comprehension 15%
- Reading comprehension 15%
- Speaking 15%
- Writing 15%
This course corresponds to B2 level of the common European Framework of reference
- M. Boulares et J.-L. Frérot, La grammaire progressive du français, niveau avancé, Paris, Cle international.
- Plateforme Moodle (la clé d'inscription sera communiquée lors du premier cours)
- Syllabus (en vente à l'ILV)