(1) the social meanings, functions and effects of legal punishment
(2) the social meanings, functions and effects of prison and imprisonment.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
- Expose the major theories and fundemental concepts in sociology of punishment
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
(1) Emile Durkheim, Goerg Rusche and Otto Kirchheimer, Michel Foucault
(2) Donald Clemmer, Gresham Sykes, Erving Goffman, Phil Zimbardo.
Contemporary studies reworking these therorist's legacy will be presented and discussed.