At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course, the student will be able to :
- build a corpus of language data (oral or written) for a particular purpose of linguistic research ;
- handle several computer softwares specialized in corpus analysis ; - make a quantitative study on a corpus ;
- make a qualitative study on a corpus.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
(1) To be able to lead, completely and autonomously, a linguistic study on corpora;
(2)To acquire a general knowledge on linguistic corpora (in French, but not only), tools and method.
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES :
(1) To design a corpus with the aim of a specific research question;
(2) To collect oral and written data + metadata;
(3) To "edit" the data (transcription, cleaning, formatting, encoding, etc.);
(4) To tag the data (at the several levels of linguistic analysis) with the help of proper software;
(5) To formulate research questions / hypothesis;
(6) To choose a methodology of analysis;
(7)To exploit / analyse a corpus according to a chosen methology (qualitative or quantitative);
(8) To present the results of a research.
Examen : Individual work to present during the lasted classes (+ written report on the work); Oral exam (on the content of the course and the methodology of the work).