Advanced Macroeconomics I : Intertemporal Behavior and Business Cycles

lecon2121  2017-2018  Louvain-la-Neuve

Advanced Macroeconomics I : Intertemporal Behavior and Business Cycles
5 credits
30.0 h + 6.0 h
Pensieroso Luca;
ECON2021 Fluctuations économiques et fondements de la politique macro (or similar)
Main themes
The course should cover models relevant for economic policy, especially with goods and labour market imperfections as well as with monetary policy. The course also covers the application of general equilibrium dynamic models to stochastic environments (such as real business cycle models and New Keynesian models). It includes economic policy simulations.

At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :


The aim of the course is to cover at an advanced level the main topics of modern macroeconomic theory, with an emphasis on its relevance for economic policy and applications of general equilibrium dynamic models. Students should learn to master the corresponding simulation tools.


The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
It is organized in two chapters and five sections:
1.1 Basic Intertemporal General Equilibrium Models
1.2 Stochastic Productivity Shocks and Real Business Cycles
2.1 Market Imperfections
2.2 Incomplete Nominal Adjustment
2.3 The New Keynesian Model
Teaching methods
Methodology: Lectures + homeworks + tutorial classes
Evaluation methods
Methods of evaluation: the emphasis will be on the understanding of the analytical tools that are used, and the economic interpretation of observed phenomena and simulation results. The final grade is a weighted average of homeworks (20%) and written exam (closed books, remaining 80%).
Blanchard O.J. and S. Fischer, Lectures on Macroeconomics, Cambridge (US): MIT Press, 1989.
Romer D., Advanced Macroeconomics, 3d ed., New York: McGraw-Hill, 2005.
D’autres références et lectures seront également suggérées.
Faculty or entity

Programmes / formations proposant cette unité d'enseignement (UE)

Title of the programme
Master [120] in Economics: Econometrics

Master [120] in Economics: General