The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
- acquisition and manipulation of theoretical concepts useful for the formal description of linguistic facts linked to the different fields of language;
- practical application of linguistic analysis methods applied to contemporary French on the basis of remarkable linguistic phenomenon (ex. French liaison);
- reflection on French as a mother tongue, its communicative resources (production and reception) and its modes of operation.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
By the end of the course and exercise tutorials, students will be able to:
- apply the analytical methods of the the main fields of linguistics (phonetics/phonology, morphology, lexical analysis, syntax,) within formal (structural, functional and generative methods) or variationist (esp. sociolinguistic) approaches to contemporary French; these methods must be applied to attested or created (introspective) data;
- distinguish scientific and normative points of view on language and take a critical stance towards value judgements about French usage;
- to relate this metalinguistic knowledge to the development of linguistic and discursive skills in French.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
Chapter 2. Phonetics and phonology
Chapter 3. Writing and orthography of French
Chapter 4. Lexical morphology
Chapter 5. Lexicolography and regionalisms
Chapter 6. Syntax of spoken French