This biannual learning unit is not being organized in 2017-2018 !
Alternating with LGLOR1541, this course deals with the chronological, geographical, political, institutional, intellectual, economic and social frameworks of the world of India.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of this course, the student will have a better understanding of the framework of Indian culture. He will also be able to identify the factors which have marked the life of that country.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
1. The civilisations of the Indus;
2. The Vedic period;
3. the birth of Buddhism;
4. The great empires;
5. The feudal period;
6. Islamic India;
7. The European presence, from the Portuguese to the British;
8. Colonial India;
9. The national liberation movement.
- P. Meyer, Une histoire de l'Inde, Paris, 2007.
- S. Wolpert, A new History of India, New York, 1993.