Parallel to the practical training, the candidate specialist will follow a university course organised as follows :
part - Foundation studies
Two years of training, consisting of :
One year of general surgery
• Theoretical courses : directives and procedures for operatory and surgical techniques, including general pathology, loco-regional and general anaesthetics, ressuscitation and traumatology
One year of Neurology : the lectures of the first year of the programme of the first part of the specialised studies diploma in Neurology.
The theoretical sessions of the first two years form part of the specific university training programme (FUS, in French).
part - Higher studies
Four years of training
• Theoretical courses, including " Computer processing of medical images"
• Seminars : Seminar (univ. and interuniv.) on Neurosurgery
• A period of supervised training in a hospital : Neurosurgical hospitals
• Among others : an optional course on Neuroradiology, Neuropathology or Neurophysiology