The second mathematics course is a continuation of Mathematics 1 and is devoted primarily to algebra and matrix calculus, in linear programming and optimization of functions of several variables. We can summarize the objectives and purposes of the course to two key dimensions:
- Learning about the mathematical tool (which is directly targeted a set of knowledge). The achievements should be a reasonable ability to handle the concepts discussed in the course, which are the basic concepts used in the models and quantitative methods in social sciences.
- The learning of a formalized and rigorous reasoning (which is more difficult to achieve and is more of "knowledge"; of mathematical modeling)
Education focuses on the approach to modeling, and on solving problems or applications in economics, political and social, using mathematical or formal logic. It aims to develop a systematic analysis and resolution.
Part 1: Linear Algebra. Indépendance linear bases, vector spaces. Fundamental theorem of linear algebra. Values and eigenvectors. Diagonalisation. Dynamical Systems. Quadratic forms.
Part 2: Analysis and Optimization of functions on several variables functions Théorème implied partial derivative of higher order, Hessienne matrix. Optimization free Optimization under constraints (equalities and inequalities). Applications.
Part 3: Introduction to linear programming. Modeling and mathematical formulation of problems of decision support and optimization. Primal Simplex, Dual simplex, economic interpretation of dual sensitivity analysis.
Each topic is dealt with examples and illustrations in economics and management.
Content and teaching methods
The course is given in the form
- lectures (the teacher defines the concepts, demonstrates the results, and illustrated with an application),
- of exercises (the teacher makes applications / problems for students and offers a resolution),
- supplemented by active participation of students in the form of lectures, independent resolution of problems, reports of resolution of cases, tests of knowledge, ...
Other information (prerequisite, evaluation (assessment methods), course materials recommended readings, ...)
Prerequisite course Mathematics 1
Evaluation: The evaluation takes into account the reports of resolutions presented during the course, test results and the results of a written examination.
|éditeur responsable : Administration de l'enseignement et de la formation|secrétariat : |vie privée|règlements|